[AZ-Observing] Re: Vekol Tonight?

  • From: "George Kolb" <gkolb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:01:13 -0700

Had a great time with clear skies at Vekol Rd last night. The usual spot for
observing was occupied by 3-4 large RV's and trailers with quads and 4X4's
with a large illuminated snowman and a US, AZ and a Beer flag elevated high
in the air.  We quickly located our spot a hundred yards or so up the road.
By 8:30p, the illuminated snowman and flags were dark and the lights from
their camp did not really bother us.  The country & western music was nice
also (?).

Saw the Horsehead Nebula (IC434) visually for the first time thanks to Joe
Larkin and Mike Mello and their superior scopes.  Had the opportunity to
reshoot M42, IC434 and M33 with my Canon 20D with better results but with
lots of opportunities for improvement.

Take a look:        http://www.pbase.com/geokolb/image/42115951
                           http://www.pbase.com/geokolb/image/51990314
                           http://www.pbase.com/geokolb/image/51963368

I also had the opportunity to test out the William Optics binoviewer I just
purchased.  For a low end binoviewer, I was happy.  Yes - they are not of
Denkmier standards, but for $199 including 2 - 20mm WO eyepieces,
compression eyepiece holders, 1.6X barlow and WO spec prisms, I was
satisfied.  M42, M45, M33 and M31 all looked "3D like".  Using the
binoviewers was easy and comfortable to view.  After using them, I realize
the frequency of use will be limited to certain objects throught the year.
Knowing this, I'm glad I didn't spend a fortune on them.  Any questions can
be directed offline to my email.

Happy New Year!

George