[AZ-Observing] Vekol Rod Thursday Night

  • From: "George Kolb" <gkolb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:13:04 -0700

Observing was great Thursday night at Vekol Road.  Not a cloud in the sky and
very transparent.  Seeing was fair but got worse as the evening went on.  Mike
Collins was there with me and as AJ stated in an earlier post, we watched
Ganymede transit across Jupiter.
We did see a spectacular light show for about 3 hours courtesy of the US
Government in the form of fighter jets, helicopters and multiple flares.  At
one time Mike and I counted about 15 jets flying in a loop between the Gila
Bend and Tucson directions (West to Southeast) dropping approx. 15 pairs of
parachute flares over the Sand Tank Mountains.  This positioned the flares just
to the west of M8 in the Milky Way from our perspective.  Thank God they called
it quits by 9:30p.

We also had two border patrol vehicles pass the site; one at normal speed and
one at a creep.  Both were exploring the roads south of the EVAC site.  The
temperature cooled to 60 degrees when we left at about 1:30a.

Going back tonight and hopefully there will be no light show.

George