[AZ-Observing] Vekol Fun

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:48:36 -0800 (PST)

Though the turnout was lighter Saturday than Sentinel, it was still a
very good night.

I observed with the Starmaster crowd of Mike M., Kerry W. and Gordon
from Tuscon. There was another small group and one straggler who came
late and left early without even saying hello.

I mostly observed galaxies in Eridanus. Mike and I traded views of
various galaxies between my 16" dob and his 12". We spotted quite a
few nice pairs and a few with interesting shapes. Of particular note
was the galaxy group dominated by NGCs 1400/1407. These two had a
half dozen other galaxies within a degree or so. I don't know if this
group is a real cluster or just a coincidental grouping. A nice sight
either way. I've observed in Eridanus 3 times over the last two years
and still have about 12 objects to go. Maybe I'll finish it next
weekend.

I finished a whole constellation on my list by observing the one
galaxy that Burnham's lists in Caelum. It isn't even plotted on Sky
Atlas 2000. Thanks to Mike for using his goto to go to it so I could
see where it was in the sky.

I also observed a few objects to finish out the winter objects from
the Herchell 400. Just 117 more objects to go, almost all galaxies
and all in the Spring/Early summer skies. My main list is Burnham's
but I also use the H400, EVAC200, RASC best NGC, and RASC challenge
object lists. Burnham's includes most of the rest of the lists, but
not all.

Saturn was a nice sight as the seeing was far far superior to the
last time I was out. Jupiter was okay, but not very high when I
finished observing at 1:30am.

The new (to me) scope is working well. I need to tweak it a bit more,
but it is mostly done unless I get the urge to work more on the
secondary cage. I have refinished the scope and it looks much better
than the last time I had it out. The biggest flaw so far is that I
mounted the telrad in an inconvenient possition.

Spring is comming and once again I'm growing afraid of all those
little galaxies. I don't seem to make much traction on my observing
lists in the spring.

An interesting coincidence occurred Sunday. I noticed an article in
Deep Sky magazine from 1984 on galaxies in Eridanus authored in part
by Steve Coe.

Joe Larkin