[AZ-Observing] Re: Vandenberg launch a no-show

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:18:57 -0700

Me either.  I watched from my front deck in New River, where I have a clear
view over the Hieroglyphic Mountains east of Lake Pleasant.  I started
watching around 8:00 pm, but by 9:30 pm clouds had moved in from the north
obscuring the view.  No plume visible.  Vandenberg is almost 485 miles due
west of me, and I'm guessing the height of the trail would be about 20
degrees above the horizon.  Can anyone confirm that?  Clouds cover was
almost up to 45 degrees.

I do recall a spectacular White Sands launch some years ago where the trail
was about 45-50 degrees up.

Dan Heim