[AZ-Observing] Re: Vandenberg launch?

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Skylook123" for DMARC)
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 10:17:11 -0500

A group of us were out at the TAAA observing site , TIMPA, near Tucson
last night for one of the twice a month TAAA club nights (4 from TAAA, 3 from
Phoenix), and we watched it for a long time. Way back in the late 1980's
in the Air Force, I was part of a group developing laser anti-missile
technology, and imaged the first ten ground test launches of the new at that
time
Trident D5s. We were using a green laser to hit the plume and move it up
to the first stage hard body. At TIMPA last night, we watched events
through a couple of hand tracked refractors and it looked exactly like those
ten
above ground launches. In the scopes, we could see how the navigation and
stabilization was working on the bus after the system went exoatmospheric.
WAY cool. It was a test launch from the USS Kentucky off Point Mugu.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34759177

Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party
_gcsp@tucsonastronomy.org_ (mailto:gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

In a message dated 11/7/2015 8:55:58 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
Jimmy_Ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Saw it as the 1st stage plume was coming above the horizon all the way
through either third stage ignition and burn (most likely) or thought
some
form of SRB sep through upper stage burns. As you stated, I have never seen
a staging plume expand so big, bright or fast. Was unreal and covered a
very
large portion of the western sky. Was able to shoot some cell phone video
from just after second stage ignition.

Jimmy