[AZ-Observing] Re: Valley's rapid growth is hampering stargazing | EastValleyTribune.com

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:41:04 -0700

Here in north-north Phoenix around 31st Av & Happy Valley it's OK right now
but that is soon to change with a lighted rec park at Deem Hills being planned
and a new Auto-Mall threatened at Carefree Hwy & I-17. With a south-facing
house to block Phx I can see a little Milky Way overhead from my b.y. and all
of the Little Dipper and 5th mag+ stars with effort. I remember going 50 miles
to Buckeye Hills for dark skies, then 75 miles and now we regularly go 90-100+
miles.

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club