[AZ-Observing] Urban Geminid Observing

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 05:44:27 -0800

OK.  My home skies are not too awfully bad - around 5ish NELM north and
east to zenith, a bit less NW, less again to WSW and forget south to SE
below 50 degrees.

Between 4:30AM and almost 5:30 this morning, I counted 32 confirmed
shooters and a few more "peripheral activity" that I won't confirm.
Way more than I expected from my back yard.   Many were >Mag 2/3, and
quite a few were dimmer, with varying lengths.   Several left brief
trails. (Or is that trains?)

I even caught two that ran perpendicular to the radiant - spurious
activity - including a real gem that ran from UMa through Leo.  Not bad
for an hour in the metro area.

I'll bet it was quite a show in darker skies.

I didn't realize until I came in that it had been 38 degrees!

Clear skies and dilated pupils,

Darrell Spencer