[AZ-Observing] Re: Unbelievably cool!

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 22:09:23 -0700

On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 03:18 +0000, L Knauth wrote:
> Astounding scrollable image of M83 at:
> http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/M83-New-HST-LL.html
>
> This could tie you up for hours if you scroll around an enlargement.
>
> I put it into Photoshop and found that a simple autocolor adjustment makes it
> much more to my liking.  Will experiment further because I am one of the
> weird people who finds vivid colors to be pretty garish and distracting
> however artistically or scientifically spectacular they may be. In any case,
> this is one you can spend hours exploring on a cloudy night.  It's actually
> brighter and more spectacular than being there.

     What I'd like to have is the star catalogue
that could be generated from this data (coords,
V magnitudes, and at least one color-index).
     This autumn I have been helping observe
Wolf-Rayet stars in M31 and M33 using the Lowell
Discovery Channel Telescope.  On the best nights
the seeing was about 0".6, so that a 30-second
exposure on either of the galaxies yielded similar
resolution of this HST image (minus the colors of course).
M83 is about 3.5 to 4 magnitudes more distant than M31/M33
in distance-modulus, so the stars are that much fainter.
But the much higher angular resolution, about 0".1,
and always-perfect seeing, means the somewhat smaller
telescope in space goes a lot fainter (probably longer
exposures, too).

     On another subject, Paul Knauth is shown as a
co-author on a paper submitted to the Astrophysical
Journal Letters that was posted this evening on the
arXiv.org 'astro-ph' preprint listings:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.1818

New insight into the Solar System's transition disk
phase provided by the unusual meteorite Isheyevo

...a little astro-geo-chemistry for your reading list.

\Brian