[AZ-Observing] Re: UT correction?

  • From: Wayne Thomas <tomwaymas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 21:06:05 -0700

Let's do an example to make sure we are all on the same page. If an event
is scheduled for UT 03:00 on Sep. 29, 2015, subtract 7 hours obtaining MST
20:00 on Sep. 28, 2015. Wayne Thomas
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Brian. Got it now. For local events like a meridian transit or
rise/set times, that longitude correction would be relevant. But for
distant events, like an asteroid occultation, it happens when it
happens. Was second-guessing myself. -Dan Heim
On 9/28/2015 5:00 PM, Brian Skiff wrote:
On Mon, 2015-09-28 at 16:06 -0700, Dan Heim wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have this correct, but would appreciate verification.
When I convert UT to local time for a brief astronomical event, say a
transit or occultation, instead of using the standard UT+7 for MST,
should I be using the longitude of Phoenix (say 112°) divided by 15° >
+7 hours 28 minutes instead of just +7? I guess what this comes down to
is whether the east edge of MST is UT+7 or the middle of the time zone
is used to set the time. Was unable to find the answer to that online.
Thanks.
Dan Heim

No, when at least a "distant" event happens at
some prescribed UT time, then that's when it happens.
Eclipse timings for a binary star is an example.
Usually for things that depend on one's geographic
location, then the ground-track for an asteroid
occultation (say), will show the UT date for whatever
the event is, and again will need no correction
for the UT date itself.
The 'U' in in UT is used for a reason!

\Brian