[AZ-Observing] Two-frame Animation of C/2012 S1

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:16:06 -0500

Just before the clouds rolled in last night, I took two images 25 minutes apart
of the "comet of the century."  It is currently just over 4 a.u. away, so
nearly as distant as Jupiter.  The comet is currently magnitude 16.1, but is
predicted to brighten by 25 magnitudes or so.

I used an 8" f/8 and 5 minutes of integration to create these two images from
the backyard in Tempe.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/148321257

The comet is nearly opposite the sun, so the comet's motion is retrograde in
the 25-minute interval between frames.  The field of view is roughly 15' across.

Tom