[AZ-Observing] Tuesday night viewing

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:53:43 -0700 (MST)

     Telescopes are busy on Anderson Mesa this evening.  Boston Univ
student Josh Shiode is hunting for new planetary nebulae with our
1.8-m telescope by isloating a sulphur emission line in the far-red
part of the spectrum.  Bill Ferris is hunting Hickson groups with
his 46cm Newtonian from an open area near the telescope compound.
I am hunting asteroids with the LONEOS camera.  More unusually,
I have my Pronto set up and am doing some casual viewing.
     This is the second clear night following the strong trough
passage.  The sky brightness from the SQM meter has been about 21.60
since the end of twilight.  I think that's "8 out of 10" on the
Steve Coe scale.  Now (about midnight) that the Milky Way is coming up,
you can readily tell this is a beautimous night.

\Brian