[AZ-Observing] Re: Tucson Observing Sites

  • From: "Kevin Bays" <bayskevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:16:11 -0700

Andy,

Re:  Chiricahua National Monument, I have to say that all four nights I've
set up at the Echo Canyon Parking lot have suffered from some turbulence and
poor seeing, although most of one night was rather steady.  Perhaps four
visits is not a statistically valuable sample.

Certainly the transparency and darkness of the sky was nothing short of
amazing compared to Empire, Timpa, or even Sentinel.  The last comparison
particularly surprised me.  I've had my best naked eye views of the Summer
Milky Way from the CNM.  The MW seems brighter as seen from there versus
other places I've visited.  Still, unsteadiness and it's effect on high
power telescope viewing may rate one fewer star with respect to viewing
conditions.  Just an idea.

Kevin