[AZ-Observing] Re: Tucson Observing Sites

  • From: "polakis@xxxxxxxx" <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:18:22 -0500

AJ wrote:

Wil, here are my notes for the site:  General Crook Trail & Interstate
17, drive 25 mi. east, through Camp Verde, just after mile marker 242
where power lines cross highway, turn left (only way to turn) go past
fence [close gate] and take right fork in road to the large meadow;
estimated elevation 5000ft. Beware of the many flying insects during the
day.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

"Zane Grey Highway" is Chris Schur's name for the old name of the General Crook
Trail, apparently from the 1980's, before=
 it was renamed.  The site is a meadow at about 6000', just at enough elevation
to be among some ponderosa pine trees.  I=
t is a 'true dark' site in all directions but low south, of course.

During the day, there are many "no-see-um" bugs, which you can't see, but you
know they're there the next day.  Another f=
eature from one experience was chiggers, which are the worst bug in Arizona, to
my knowledge.  Ask Chris.

Tom