[AZ-Observing] Re: Tucson Observing Sites

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:30:02 -0700

Tom, your clarifying point is not only understood but well taken.

The reason for inquiring about the Zane Greay observing site, named
after the prolific authour of western novels, was prompted due to some
confusion.  In the meantime I did look up the site in the  Arizona Atlas
and Gazetteer - far less accurate than the topo maps in your reference
but with enough accuracy to help calibrate by thoughts.  This sites
coordiantes are just off the General Crook Highway.  Trouble is it isn't
clear where Zane Grey is located in this area and that's the confusion.
Me thinks it is located much farther away, perhaps 30 miles or so, from
this site.

More to the point many of us in the Saguaro Astronomy Club named the
site Gen'l Crook - a more appropriate geographical title.  As a result
my original question for Wil Milan is now refined as to where the name
for this site originated and to have it renamed more appropriately.

As an interesting side bar, this site even had an different name - Camp
Andromeda!  It was given this name back in the latter 1970's by an
astrophotographer who got his best and greatest picture of The Great
Andromeda Galaxy!  I'd have to check on the film and duration but I'm
pretty sure it was black and white, about 45 minutes of manual guiding.
They really had it tough back in those days!!

aj
saguaroastro.org