[AZ-Observing] Re: Tucson Observing Sites

  • From: Tom Harvey <tbharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:24:35 -0700

AJ,
GPS coordinates is somewhat of  a misnomer, as these coordinate systems
existed long before GPS was established.  A better term is geographic
coordinates. The advent of GPS allowed people to quickly and easily
determine their coordinates, and so the use of the coordinate framework
has become more widespread and some people now call them GPS
coordinates.   Some maps will show geographic coordinates on them.  An
example of commonly available maps are the USGS topographic maps and
DeLorme's Atlas and Gazetteer series of state atlases.  One for Arizona
is available and cost $14.95 about 6 years ago when I bought mine.
Thus, the site coordinates could be useful to people without a GPS if
they had the proper maps and did some interpolation to plot the
positions on the map.  Even with a GPS it's good to have a map to figure
out what roads to take to get to the spot.

Tom