[AZ-Observing] Re: Triple Shadow Transit Tonight

  • From: "William R Wood" <wrwood2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:50:44 -0700

I was out in my backyard with a 5" refractor at 207x from 12:30am to 1:30am.
Seeing poor at 4/10 but the event was neat nonetheless.  Starting at 1:00am
I could easily see the 3 moon shadows (Ganymede's shadow just starting to
appear) and Ganymede itself, which also looked like a black dot.  I could
not see Io itself, only its shadow.  The best view occurred at 1:03am when
the 3 shadows plus Ganymede were all fully visible on the planet's surface
and it lasted for about 5 minutes before Callisto's shadow started to slip
off the edge.  First time I ever saw 4 big black dots on Jupiter.  Very
cool.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ