[AZ-Observing] Re: Triple Shadow Transit Tonight

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:52:58 +0000

Sorry I couldn't make it to the scout party, but here at Stone Haven I had
some decent views of the transits.  I saw Callisto cross the planet early
and the shadow enter later.  Its journey seemed to take forever, then rush
off at the end.  Ganymede and Io were both visible for much of the evening,
the later more obvious in moments of good seeing.  All observed with the C8
at 224x and higher.  Blue filter helped a lot.  The shadows of Ganymede and
Io were stark as compared to the moons themselves.  Io's entered the planet
right on schedule according to WWV.
Glenn's 6" F/9 showed amazing views, but I soon tired of the lack of
tracking at 386x with a Barlow.
A spectacular sight on a teriffic night!

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman