[AZ-Observing] Re: Trip to new Saddle Mt. site for Dec. 29?

  • From: "Bill VanOrden" <beevo1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:08:09 -0700

This an out and back or stay the night?

Beevo

-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Steve Coe
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:55 PM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Trip to new Saddle Mt. site for Dec. 29?

Howdy all;
It occurred to me while looking at my electronic calendar that we still have
a chance to do some observing THIS YEAR.  On Sat. Dec. 29 the sunset will be
around 5:30 PM and the Moonrise will be at 11:48 PM.  That leaves at least a
few hours for seeing the two nice comets (Holmes and Tuttle) AND...showing
off that new, neat accessory you got for Christmas.

We can try out the new site to the south of Saddle Mountain, about 8 miles
from the Palo Verde power plant.  That puts this site about 60 miles from
central Phoenix.
Directions below:

I-10 west to Wintersburg Road, turn left from the offramp and then about 10
miles south to the "T" at Elliot Road, turn right (west) onto Elliot.  Be
careful of the dip and cattle guard along this road.  After a few miles
traveling on the blacktop, the road turns sharply right and becomes a dirt
road.  Keep going straight, do not make that sharp right turn, and be
careful of two dips in the road.  As you come out of the second dip there is
a 45 degree turn to the right.  So you turn away from the line of power
poles onto a smooth dirt road.  This happens about 0.3 miles from the
pavement.  Continue on this road for 0.6 miles and there is an opening in
the birm on the left that I marked with rocks.  It has room for lots of
observers.

N 33 21.147  W 112 59.756  is where I set up.

See you there;
Steve Coe

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat