[AZ-Observing] Triangle in a triangle asterism--Reeves-2 in Corvus

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:07:19 -0700

This one has come up a few times recently with questions on how to find
it--most recently, last night at Stan Gorodensky's place in Dewey.  I
"independently" discovered it out at Buckeye Hills in 1997 when I was brand new
to the hobby and excitedly called Ken Reeves over to my scope to check it out
only to learn: "Oh yeah, that's Reeves-2"  For a while after that, I named all
my little asterism finds with a Reeves #.
This information is from Ken Reeves' "Fuzzy Spot" article in the April 2000
_SACNEWS_.  This link will give you the corresponding Constellation/Telrad map.

http://members.cox.net/tpolakis/astro/reeves-2.jpg

If you would rather independently discover it,  just surf a degree or two to
the right of the Sombrero M104 and it will spring into your field like a prarie
dog/whack-a-mole/meerkat, or something like that that can spring into a field.

"Reeves-2 (12h35.7 -12 01): I'm really not being

conceited, but I could find no designation for

this prominent asterism of 6 stars. It is found

while star-hopping to the Sombrero Galaxy in

Virgo. It is a nice asterism of 6 stars, with 3

bright stars in a triangle surrounding three

fainter stars in the center, which form a triangle

pointing the opposite direction"...Ken Reeves, Fuzzy Spot, SACNEWS, April 2000

By the way, in the the great seminal work _Star Clusters_ by Brent Archinal and
Steven Hynes this cluster/asterism is noted as "Canali": Canali, E. 1997 "An
Interesting Asterism in Corvus."  _The Guide Star: Newsletter of the Amateur
Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh, Inc. Vol. 31 #2 May 1997_

Jenn Polakis