[AZ-Observing] Re: Trapezium Eclipsing Variable Star Light Curve

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:22:38 -0700 (MST)

>>  [URLs snipped]

     No actual lightcurves linked from either of those, alas.

>>  I'm curious why the interest?

     What I thought of was that it might make it rather easy to
see the 'E' component in my Pronto, something that has eluded me
thus far (though without much effort).  Yeah, I know, photometry,
blah blah, but this one piques my interest.
     Speaking of the E component, George Herbig and Roger Griffin
just published a very nice paper about this star.  I note that these
guys are aged 86 and 70+, respectively.  Using new Keck spectra,
they find the star is a close binary that are apparently still
contracting onto the main sequence.  The stars are identical in
type, something like mid-G giants, and appear brick-red in a
large-enough telescope---reddened a bit more than the four main
Trapezium stars.  Herbig & Griffin actually cite Lord Rosse to this
effect, typical of Griffin's extremely thorough bibliographies in
any paper he authors/co-authors.

\Brian