[AZ-Observing] Re: Transit and Occultation During Eclipse

  • From: Sam Rua <sam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 15:39:54 -0700

The high cirrus seemed to thicken right near maximum and were still a pain
prior to that down here in Tucson. My capture before packing up:
http://www.pbase.com/pegsam/image/159639107

On Apr 5, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

---- Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The more interesting event is the occultation of the elliptical galaxy NGC
4697, which occurs during totality...

We set up along the ISS transit line at a dark site south of Florence, and
did not see the transit, nor did it appear in images. Only about 10 percent
of the moon was not in the umbra at that time.

We looked carefully through a 10-inch scope, and never saw the emerging
elliptical galaxy. The thin cirrus clouds did not help. It did show up in
an 8-second exposure at ISO 1600 through a 4-inch refractor. Look at 3:30
clock position just off the limb in this image. Pretty spectacular.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/159638081/original

Tom