[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight

  • From: <watson1987@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:09:24 -0700

Wish I'd been able to do both nights.   Sounds like I missed some extraordinary
conditions for visual observing.

Not that Saturday night was anything to complain about.  A clear dark sky with
average seeing and transparency is surely nothing to dismiss.   Since there was
plenty of socializing to distract me, after a brief attempt at some galaxy
hunting (my reach exceeded my light grasp, I'm afraid - or the transparency
wasn't where I needed it...)  I spent the evening enjoying old favorites;
double cluster, M31 and its attendants, M45, etc.   I did take in some new (to
me) sights, such as the Sculptor galaxy.   My strongest impressions from the
night, however, are from naked eye sights.  I crashed relatively early,
sleeping under the stars on a cot.  (Very nice night for that!)   At some point
I woke up with Orion high in the south and Mars blazing like a warning beacon.
The winter Milky Way was beautifully prominent, as was the distinct cone of the
zodiacal light.   It was the sort of night sky vista that has you setting aside
the eyepieces and just opening your eyes.   It was worth the effort all by
itself.

Tom Watson