[AZ-Observing] Re: Time-Lapse: One Hour at Five Mile Meadow

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:45:05 -0700 (PDT)

Tom, there is one more way to take time lapse with a
Canon - put the camera in burst mode, then hold the
shuttter button down with say a piece of duct tape or
use the cheap remote.  If the exposure is set for 30s,
it will burst 30s exposures forever.

Chris
--- Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> HI all,
>
> On Saturday at the 5MM star party, I set my camera
> up just south of all of the scopes, and pointed the
> fisheye lens above Polaris.  The camera was set to
> continuous shooting, and took 30-second exposures
> with a second or so between exposures until the
> already depleted battery died an hour later.  The
> result is a Quicktime movie (10 megabytes!) with 110
> frames that I put up here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yqbxqa
>
> The movie is on one of those free Web hosting
> services, so it may take a while to download.
>
> Thanks to Richard Payne for offering some good
> advice out in the meadow, and to Dean Ketelsen for
> motivating me to give this stuff a try.  The lessons
> learned are:
>
> - 30 seconds is not enough exposure at f/4 and ISO
> 800.
> - Take in-camera dark frames for each image.
> - Take the camera out of auto-color balance mode
> (the sky turns a shade of blue every time the camera
> is flashed by a red flashlight).
>

> For those who want to give this a try but are shying
> away from the $130 Canon timer remote, continuous
> time-lapse sequences with exposures up to 30 seconds
> long can be done with a garden-variety remote.
>
> Tom

Take Care,

Chris
Astro: http://www.schursastrophotography.com