[AZ-Observing] Re: Thursday Photo Op

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:03:10 -0700

Absolutely amazing.  First time I've witnessed a Vandenberg launch
before, and only saw it due to sheer luck.  I turned into my
neighborhood (no streetlights allowed) and first saw what I believe was
the second stage as a bright "star" with a huge cone of light trailing.
In it's wake was the remnants of the first stage already weaving a
curled, glowing "snake" of noctilucent-like light with fringes of color.
I jumped out of my truck, grabbed the wife from the house, and we ran
out to view it.  Within the course of 5 minutes, the whole scene had
substantially dissipated.  She saw only the fading minutes of the show,
but even that was exciting to her (or at least she feigned it for my
benefit).  Great stuff, can't wait for the next one.

- Bernie