[AZ-Observing] Re: Thursday Night's Sky Viewing

  • From: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 19:39:25 +0100

Tom, thanks for sharing those photos.

I was impressed by the almost non-stop light show from my driveway 140
miles north. I wish I had been able to stay outside long enough to
look for a hint of any jets or sprites--probably too far away though.
I've never had the opportunity to witness these before. Thanks for
sharing your observation of the jets, Dan! Those lengthy
cloud-to-ground superbolts sound impressive--I wish I could have seen
it.

The national weather service is calling for an early season 'short
wave' to drop down and really liven up the monsoon this weekend.
Saturday and Sunday afternoon & evening sound like they might make for
some good cloud & lightning photo ops. I'm going to try and keep
myself open...

The last out-of-season trough a couple weeks ago made for some
fantastic storms up here. I got lucky with a full-daylight lightning
photo from Mars Hill on Sunday the 17th:

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000821.html

I also had a chance to get out and photograph a time lapse animation
of dwindling rotation in the cell that apparently produced a tornado
warning on Friday the 15th. (the youtube link is on that page too.)

If we can't get clear skies, here's hoping for some other excitement
in the sky (without the wind damage :)

Jeremy
http://beltofvenus.perezmedia.net