[AZ-Observing] Re: Thunderbird Star Party

  • From: phxjeffx@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 12:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

Outstanding Bob!

Jeff

Hopkins Phoenix Observatory
(187283)
Counting Photons
Phoenix, Arizona
www.hposoft.com/Astro/astro.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Christ <bchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: az-observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, May 20, 2013 9:29 am
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Thunderbird Star Party

Agreed Jeff, it was a wonderful evening and the attendees were most
appreciative

- and inquisitive.
I showed some Sun spots, the Moon, and Saturn during daylight to the early
arrivals (the seeing was uncharacteristically solid at this point).  A family
had purchased a small scope for one of the children and I was able to correct
its assembly and they were then able to view the Moon.  Aside from the "usual
suspects" being shown at nightfall, I targeted a couple globulars and a galaxy
as well.  Later on, I locked onto comet PANSTARRS and several SAC folk and a
couple of attendees were able to pick out the really faint fuzzball.

Toward the end of the evening a gentleman spent some time with me discussing
various astronomy topics and clearly knew what he was talking about.  He then
said "when I discovered Hale-Bopp" and I immediately questioned him as to what
he meant by the word "discover."  He then introduced himself: Dr. Thomas (Tom)
Bopp.  In an instant the conversation became much more interesting.

Bob Christ