[AZ-Observing] Re: Thunderbird Park Star Party 10 May 2008

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 13:47:39 -0700

Thanks everyone for turning out and supporting the Club, Astronomy Day, and
Public outreach and education. Yes you did all that didn't you, plus realizing
how much fun it can be! Danielle M. of Parks was quite chagrined at the early
merry mix-ups and eventually having to break in to her own Park. She
apologizes to all.

The horizons all around were the most light-polluted I've seen it there. I'm
hoping some that came will get into and persue the hobby a little further and
get out to some darker skies where the show really begins. I kept it on Saturn
most of the night, having a 4" refractor, easily seeing the Cassini gaps, dark
bands, and moons Titan, Dione and Rhea (which I told everyone was Tethys :-).
It was high in the sky, but the seeing seemed very good. Did anyone rate the
seeing by doing any difficult double stars?

Jack Jones
SAC P.E. Coord
Phoenix AZ
Telescoper@xxxxxxx