[AZ-Observing] This weekend at Antennas site

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 11:54:27 -0700

Howdy all;
Well, we had a mixture of good skies, windy skies and cloudy skies...some
all in the same night!

I got out to the site late Thursday evening and set up the 6" refractor.  It
was a little fuzzy and I did wide double stars for two hours before falling
into the sleeping bag.

I got up Friday under partly cloudy skies, put my new table and the laptop
computer under the shade of a tree and started entering notes from observing
sessions over the past two months.  I just got finished when Al Stiewig
rolled in and we chatted for a short time before he started setting up.  Al
was followed by Joe Goss and Lynn Blackburn and so we had four for Friday
night.  It was OK, but never really great.  I got a variety of objects done
in Canis Major and Hydra.  There was a nice view of Saturn at 1 AM, the
seeing settled down so that I could use 220X.

Saturday just got better as the day progressed and more and more people
arrived after 2 PM or so.  There were 16 vehicles by the time it got dark,
some of the usual folks:  Matt Luttinen, Paul Lind and David Fredericksen.
We also had two guys who had driven over from San Diego.  I took some shots
of Comet Holmes and the California Nebula, I will show those at the SAC
meeting.

I really felt for them as the night progressed and went from good to
mediocre to bad.  The clouds rolled in and got pretty thick about 10 PM and
then the wind started up after that and started to really blow hard.  So, I
decided to tear down the scope and make my way home.  David and I talked on
the CB radio on the way home.

All in all, it was worth the trip, but I really expected more.

See ya;
Steve Coe

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat