[AZ-Observing] Re: The Up and Down of It

  • From: "Kevin Bays" <bayskevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:56:40 -0700

Sam,

I had a gap in my work/school schedule, noticed the weather was clearing,
and went east last night to the Echo Canyon parking area in Chiricahua Natl.
Monument.  Got in a quick hike before observing a few NGC galaxies through
the C-8.  In Canes Venatici, I saw NGC 4244 and 4111. Also saw NGC 3432 in
Leo Minor.  These all looked edge on, as indicated by my references.  I had
not seem any before.  I suspect you've spotted these in your big scopes too.
4244 in particular seemed to beg for more aperture.  Looked a little like
4565.  Long and thin.  4111 had an intriguing bright, almost starlike core.

I spent the rest of the night going after Messier stuff again.  I had
forgotten that M56 and M71 were such pretty globulars, sitting as they are
in a rich Milky Way star field.  I also went after M10, M12, M27, Harvard 20
(open cluster), Jupiter, and Mars.  Seeing was in the 4-5 range, but
transparency was nice . . . probably in the 8-9 range.  There were just a
few whispy clouds which didn't really seem to come in until I left at about
3.  The wind was minimal, and diminished as the night went on.

Other hi-lights (lowlights?):  Found a fly in my salad in a Benson
restaurant.  :(  And on the return, my car started sputtering and missing.
Once or twice I thought I'd be calling the tow truck.  I limped home, so
I'll call it a very enjoyable evening under clear, starry skies.  Sorry
others' efforts didn't pan out.  Better luck next time.

Kevin