[AZ-Observing] Re: The Tau Canis Majoris Cluster

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:30:17 -0700 (PDT)

Steve, I remember looking at S301 visually, yes that might be a great target.
Clear Skies,

Chris

Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com

--- On Mon, 3/21/11, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: The Tau Canis Majoris Cluster
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, March 21, 2011, 3:35 PM

Chris;

What a beauty!  Also one of my favorites, that bright triple star in the
middle, AJ and I have called it "Tau and the boys".

The astrograph does indeed do a fine job, sharp star images and good
color.  It really appears as a cluster "in front" of the Milky Way.

I'll bet Sharpless 2-301 would do great.  It is fairly low surface
brightness, but lots of detail and fairly large.  I remember it showing
some detail in the 13 inch with a UHC filter and taking up most of the
field of view in the 22mm Panoptic.  Give it a try.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe