[AZ-Observing] The Sun: Toggle Between White-Light and H-Alpha

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:35:18 -0400

AR1476 is a prominent sunspot group that looks great in white light and through
a Hydrogen alpha filter.  I used two different telescopes to make a movie that
shows both views of this region.  The 70mm Pronto has become a dedicated solar
scope with a Coronado 60mm SolarMax in front of the objective.  The TV101 uses
a Lunt solar wedge to provide white-light views.  I imaged the region in
H-alpha at 11:08 this morning, and changed out scopes to image it in white
light 18 minutes later.  The resulting animated GIF might take a little while
to load.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/143262478

It's interesting to see how some of the fainter photosphere details such as
sunspot penumbras are wiped out by the chromosphere, and how filaments
disappear in the white-light view.

Tom