[AZ-Observing] The Noseeums are here with a Vengeance.

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:19:06 -0800

About this time of the year, June, a very small minute, about 1/32"
long, bug flies. They are called Noseeums because they are so small. The
bug is black and is a "true"  bug because it belongs to the order
Hemiptera. Although small it causes a very irritating bite as bad or
worse than a mosquitoe. They sound like a mosquitoe but more high
pitched, sort of like the sound in the old Star Trek "Wink of an Eye".
These are not chiggers because chiggers are not insects. Just now while
setting up the telescope I just bought to align the finder, I discovered
they are out in abundance, more so than in prior years it seems. I had
to spray my face, ears and arms to keep them away. At the SAC meeting a
few weeks ago the members were alerted to possible chiggers at the 5
Mile Meadow star party this Saturday. They were said to be a problem at
another 5 Mile star party. They may be chiggers, but they could also be
these Noseeums. It is the right time of the year. I would suggest taking
insect repellant with you if you attend the party.
Stan