[AZ-Observing] The Heck with the Monsoons star party, Aug. 11

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:31:41 -0700

Howdy all;

I am planning on the usual Summer "Heck with the Monsoons" star party for
Sat. Aug 11th at the Cherry road site north of Phoenix.  This will also be a
Novice Group meeting.  The directions are below.  I made it like a flyer
that you can printout and give to any novices you might know.  If the
weather does not plan to hold a "Heck with the Astronomers" star party, we
can plan for a good time.  So, if you would like to just come up and cool
off, that will be great.  If you would like to learn, or teach, something
about telescopes and how to use them, please join in.

There are not too many choices on a date for this year, the week before has
a Saturday night moonrise of just after 10 PM.  I just don't think many
folks would drive up for a two hour star party;-(  So, I understand that
this is New Moon weekend, but that would seem the only possibility.  The
good news is that a fair number of dedicated observers have always been
willing to be at the Novice Group meeting and try to help with folks trying
to figure out how to get started.

I put the directions in the flyer how to get on this email list, so let's
keep the conversation here so that anyone trying to decide "weather" or not
to go, can get some info on this email list.

Hope to see you there;

Steve Coe

Astronomy Novice Group Meeting

Sat., Aug. 11, 6:00 PM to Moonrise

This is the "Heck with the Monsoons" Starparty

Do you think those numbers on eyepieces are alien code?

Is "Lost in Space" a re-run of your last observing session?

Do you think the "Milky Way" is only a candy bar?

Then the Novice Group is just for you.  All you need is an interest in
viewing Arizona skies.  Please be on time, the demonstrations need to start
in twilight for you to see how the telescopes work, dress warm and bring
your curiosity.  The Cherry Road site is at least a one hour drive from the
city lights, so be on the road by 5:00 PM.  If it looks too stormy, don't
go.  Join our email conversation about observing:  go to the SAC website at
www.saguaroastro.org <http://www.saguaroastro.org/>  and use the "List
Subscription" link on the left side of the home page.  Join the Az-observing
mailing list.

Cherry Road II site Directions

Drive north on I-17 about 70 miles from central Phoenix to the Cherry Road
exit.  This is state highway 169.  Turn left over the freeway to the west
and go about 5 miles, just beyond mile marker number 10.  At the sign which
says "Cherry 6" turn south onto a dirt road.  Note:  this is the opposite
direction of the arrow that is on the sign.  The observing site is about
6/10 of a mile south on the dirt road on the left, a rather large field.  It
is one of the few places where the dirt birm on the edge of the road will
allow you to drive off the main road.