[AZ-Observing] Re: The HP-35s

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:18:27 -0700

Greets,
When I was in college, I went with the somewhat more advanced HP-25C,
which was programmable and had "continuous memory".
It too uses RPN, and I found that very useful.  It cost about $250 at
the time...(!)
A couple of years ago, I found a discarded HP-25C outfit where I worked,
complete in the original box, with accessories, so I have two of them.
The only complaint is that the HP-25C used a peculiar insertable
rechargeable NiCad battery pack -- but I found that I could cut up one
of the plastic battery holders and insert regular AA batteries, and it
works fine.
Many years later, I bought a newer model HP-20S Scientific model, which
has more features (and only cost about $35) -- but it doesn't seem to
use RPN, and so it is more awkward to use if you are chaining functions...
Somewhere in my internet wanderings I found a web page which is a sort
of museum for pocket  calculators and such.... Check this out:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/
Gene Lucas (17250)