[AZ-Observing] Re: The Crab Nebula - Enhanced Hydrogen Comparison

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:12:55 -0800 (PST)

Thanks George!  Staying with G2V calibrated data is the key here.

Chris
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, 9:20 AM

Wow!  It is amazing what some of you are able to do in the realm of
astrophotography these days.  Very nice details.

Is this what we would see if we lived, say, 200 light years away?  I often
wonder what the various astronomic objects we observe would look like if we
could live on a planet nearby them.  I have seen the Magellenic clouds, and
they look just like clouds, but then they are not exactly spiral galaxies
like ours.  Wouldn't it be cool to watch something like the Crab Nebula
rise in the sky, covering perhaps 50 times the diameter of the full Moon?
I'll bet it would be like your photo!

George

             Chris Schur
             <comets133@yahoo.
             Sent by:                  Rik Hill <rhill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

             az-observing-boun         Az Observng list
             ce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx          <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

                                       gallery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jerry
                                       Bonnell APOD
             01/22/2009 08:24          <bonnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Joe
             AM                        Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

                                       Wayne Johnson <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>,

                                       Albert Levy <alevy1@xxxxxxxxxx>,

             Please respond to         "John O'Farrell"

             az-observing@free         <jofarrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

                 lists.org             Arthur Piccinati
                                       <apiccinati@xxxxxxxxx>, Robert

                                       Nemiroff APOD <nemiroff@xxxxxxx>,

                                       Sean Walker
                                       <swalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan

                                       Ward <danlward@xxxxxxx>, Peter

                                       Wehinger
                                       <pwehinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Susan

                                       Wyckoff <wyckoff@xxxxxxx>

                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [AZ-Observing] The Crab Nebula -
                                       Enhanced Hydrogen Comparison

HI all,

I present to you here the best shot Ive taken so far with my 12.5" newt of
the crab, M1.  The last time I shot this was when I had my ST7E, a long
time ago. As you know, the crab nebula is basically a continuum in the
core, surrounded by the emission filamentary structure.  This is much like
a spiral galaxy, so I applied my enhanced hydrogen technique normally used
on galaxies to this enigmatic object with great success.  As usual, I spent
a great deal of care making sure that the final colors are as true as
possible to the original calibrated RGB colors.  The results bring out the
lovely blue halo that rims the outside of the filaments as well.  I hope
you enjoy this image as much as I did producing it:

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/ccdimagepages/m1-4.html

Comments?
Chris