[AZ-Observing] The Crab Nebula - Enhanced Hydrogen Comparison

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rik Hill <rhill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Az Observng list <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gallery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jerry Bonnell APOD <bonnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Wayne Johnson <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>, Albert Levy <alevy1@xxxxxxxxxx>, John O'Farrell <jofarrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Arthur Piccinati <apiccinati@xxxxxxxxx>, Robert Nemiroff APOD <nemiroff@xxxxxxx>, Sean Walker <swalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Ward <danlward@xxxxxxx>, Peter Wehinger <pwehinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Susan Wyckoff <wyckoff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:23:35 -0800 (PST)

HI all,

I present to you here the best shot Ive taken so far with my 12.5" newt of the
crab, M1.  The last time I shot this was when I had my ST7E, a long time
ago. As you know, the crab nebula is basically a continuum in the core,
surrounded by the emission filamentary structure.  This is much like a spiral
galaxy, so I applied my enhanced hydrogen technique normally used on galaxies
to this enigmatic object with great success.  As usual, I spent a great deal of
care making sure that the final colors are as true as possible to the original
calibrated RGB colors.  The results bring out the lovely blue halo that rims
the outside of the filaments as well.  I hope you enjoy this image as much as I
did producing it:

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/ccdimagepages/m1-4.html

Comments?
Chris