[AZ-Observing] The Chambliss Award

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:25:42 -0700

I was leafing through my copy of Science at dinner this evening and
thought I saw a face I recognized. Here is the article:

"BURNING BRIGHT. Brian Warner had always wanted to be an astronomer. And
although circumstances led him into jobs in radio and TV as a news
director instead, Warner still managed to spend countless late nights
tracking the waxing and waning of asteroid brightness from his backyard
observatory north of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Last week, his
contributions earned him the American Astronomical Society's first-ever
Chambliss Amateur Achievement Medal: a silver medallion and a $1000
honorarium.
Warner, 54, now a computer programmer, has published more than 200
records of varying asteroid brightness using data captured with cheap
but ultrasensitive light detectors. A light curve reveals not only the
shape and rotation of asteroids but also whether an apparent solitary
asteroid is actually a pair. Warner's discovery of numerous pairs in the
main asteroid belt has challenged theorists to explain how binary
asteroids could form there."

It sure was a surprise to me. Brian is on the SAS committee and sends
out notices of the upcoming meeting which I will be attending this May.
Stan