[AZ-Observing] Re: The Astronomy Shoppe

  • From: "Spicastar" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:35:26 -0700

Ha ha Stan, you are such an amateur flame-baiter. We don't respond to that
sort of glog on here tho sorry. I should mention tho that you can't expect
to get S&T the next month when you order it however, it just don't work that
way. Ask S&T if you don't believe me. They want TWO months advance to start
a subscription or renew. What they do is just send back issues back to the
date you lapsed so you "don't miss any". SAC will soon announce (like I hear
EVAC does) that we need THREE months advance on subscriptions. Then no false
expectations. You need to pay your dues in advance anyway to keep the
Treasurer happy. They are volunteer you know. Why make their job harder than
it is?  We haven't had "untimely" newsletters for over a year now when we
had editor problems that time. They are volunteer also, and if no one
volunteers, or volunteers and decides it's not for them, you could have a
late newsletter or two (Oh mercy!). Cut some slack, Mack!

Jack Jones
President - SAC
Spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> As I stated in my previous message, the shop had become more of a job
> than Dick had anticipated, and when he hired a manager to relieve him of
> time, it ended up taking more of his time.  Although he may have loosely
> told others he is retiring, he told me he wasn't retiring in the usual
> sense of the word. He still has another business.  What he said was that
> he will have more time to do other things (as you pointed out AJ), such
> as attending SAC meetings (he told me this), but I had to warn him that
> the newsletter by snailmail is frequently untimely, it hardly ever
> states who the main speaker will be for the next meeting, and there have
> been some problems with S&T subscriptions being late. (Sorry SAC, but I
> have to be honest.)
>
> We need to be able to accept what he is doing without without having to
> justify it amongst ourselves, and "let the healing process begin" (you
> should see my tongue in my cheek).
>
> Stan
> p.s. I am leaving for Long Beach early tomorrow morning and won't be
> back until late Wednesday night.  I won't be able to respond to flames,
> or club excomunications, until Thursday at the earliest.
>

> AJ Crayon wrote:
> >
> > To all, Rick's message here hits the spot!!
> >
> > Like it or not, life is an ever changing process and Dick has reached
> > the point where he wants time to do more of what he wants.
> >
> > We should be thankful for the service provided and wish him well.
> >
> > No doubt if there is a market, and I believe there is one, the slack
> > will be taken up - somehow by someone.  Let's just be patient.
> >
> > I look forward to the night when Dick joins us to enjoy the delights of
> > the night sky.
> >
> > AJ Crayon
> >
> > Rick Scott wrote:
> > >
> > > I was at the Astronomy Shoppe this last Monday and bought some
> > > eyepieces. While there, I asked Dick about his closing and he told me
> > > that he was retiring. He has been in the business long enough and it's
> > > time to spend time for himself. I also bought my first telescope from
> > > him at his old shop on Cave Creek Road.
> > >
> > > Rick Scott
> > > http://members.home.net/rmscott
> > >

> > ---
> > This message is from the AZ-Observing mailing list.  If you wish to be
removed from this
> > list, send E-mail to: AZ-Observing-request@xxxxxxxxx, with the subject:
unsubscribe.