[AZ-Observing] The 2004 AAMM recap

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:14:58 EST

Just got out of the tub and feel human again. Last night, while not looking
very promising at the outset turned into a great night after all. Although most
of the evening twilight objects were at some pint or another shrouded by the
cirrus clouds that threatened all afternoon, Patience and determination
enabled me to bag them all, including the elusive M74. Once done the skies
pretty
well cleared up letting me coast through the list up to Virgo. Just as I was
starting, the clouds decided to play hide & seek with the fair maidens
galaxies.
Once again patience paid off and by 0130 I had all the Virgo Cluster objects.
I have to say that the weathers fickleness made this marathon the most
challenging I've run as you certainly had to be ready to alter your plan in
order not
to fall behind. Not wanting to chance the wx, Matt Luttinen & I decided we'd
experiment with seeing just how ugly an object can look. We started hunting
them down as they came over the horizon. Matt had the advantage wit his Digital
Setting circles, while I use my 60 mm ETX as a $100.00 Finder. I set the ETX
on the object, note in it's finder where it was pointing and then aim Gert at
the same spot. I'd say we found at least 10 object within 5 degree of the
horizon and probably 10 more with 7.
As Andrew reported, the clouds did hang around in the East a bit and made the
last 4 objects (M2, M73, M72 & M30) interesting. M2 didn't pop out of cloud
till after we had finally secured M72 & M73. We thought for a minute that we
might end up with M30, but miss M2, Wouldn't that have been ironic. As it turns
out Matt Rich Payne & myself huddled and worked out just where M 30 would rise
so we'd be ready for it. Alas, all we ended up with were clouds. In spite of
missing 110, I can't say I'm disappointed with 109, After all, given our
forecasts of doom in the afternoon, things worked out quite nicely.

Just call me "Glad I Went"
Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club