[AZ-Observing] Re: The 100 Naked Eye objects by Joe Orman

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:47:24 -0700

How about pyroluminescent clouds? Very eerie. While watching the lightning to
the north tonight, I saw the pyrocumulus clouds to the NE lit up from
underneath by the Cave Creek fire, a reddish aurora-like glow.

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix AZ
Telescoper@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

Sp@m:  Don't try - Don't reply - Don't buy.

For the record, here are the objects on my list that I haven't seen myself:

10) Transit of Venus - June 5, 2012 is already on my calendar.
32) Noctilucent Clouds - I must take a trip up north to see this ... and some
real aurora.
88) Magellanic Clouds - not taking credit for this because I only saw one, and
I think that was through a telescope.
93) Asteroids - maybe I've seen one, but through a telescope.  Didn't know
Vesta is visible naked eye -- will have to look for it.

Sorry, Tom, I'm not giving you credit for the spectre.  I think it's got to be
the shadow of your human form.  This gives you an excuse to climb a mountain,
turn around, and look for the mirror in the sky (as Stevie Nicks so eloquently
put it).

--Joe Orman