[AZ-Observing] The 100 Naked Eye objects by Joe Orman

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:06:16 -0700

Howdy all;

We (SAC) were fortunate enough to have Joe Orman as our speaker this evening
and he has created a useful list of 100 things to see with just your naked
eye in the night sky.  It is a great list and I do believe that it is coming
soon to a web site near you.

I sat here this evening and checked off what I have seen and I am happy to
report that I have seen 94 of the things on the list.  I am also NOT going
to be adding to that value anytime soon.  The next Venus transit is a ways
off and I don't plan to travel to an annular eclipse anytime in the future.

Regardless of what I have missed it was lots of fun to go through the list
and remember what I HAVE seen over the years.  Somewhere in my photo library
I have shots of a really bright and colorful "ring around the Moon" that
happened right at my house.  Many is the night at Sentinel when we have
marveled at the zodiacal light.  And, like Joe, I really do enjoy just
sitting and watching the majesty of the sky moving overhead.  Many times
over the years we have taken a break from using the telescopes and just
looked up while preparing to return to the eyepiece.

So, even with all the expensive optical aids that we all carry out to a dark
site, it is worth the time to use just your eyes in there natural sense to
view the grandeur of the sky.

We do live in a beautiful Universe;

Steve Coe