[AZ-Observing] Thanks from newcomer to EVAC

  • From: Jon Schoen <jjschoen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:25:51 -0700

Many thanks to those of you who were so kind to me on my second trip to
Vekal, and my first trip as an EVAC member.  I was welcomed to setup shop
near the others, and to share the view from an 8", 14" , and a 24"
telescopes (all dobsonians I believe), with spectacular views of Saturn,
Jupiter( great transit & shadow of Ganymede), Orion Nebula, and the Eskimo.

The evening started around 6:30 - 7:00 with the setting sun and a great view
of Mercury on the horizon ( my first view of Mercury!), Venus (bright but
shrouded in clouds to the west all evening), followed by increasingly
spectacular views of Saturn (my first view of Saturn in a scope large enough
to see the Cassini division and the planets shadow on the rings) & Jupiter.

I'm real bad with names! Special thanks to the teacher from Tucson (8"
Porta-Ball?) who was really helpful, and to Jon, the guy with the 14"
Celestron, who allowed me to ask lots of questions and view photos and films
through his webcam and software. That was an amazing shot of Saturn!

A great experience, thanks Evac members!

Jon Schoen
Chandler AZ
jjschoen@xxxxxxxxxxx