[AZ-Observing] Re: Texas Range fire

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:33:49 -0700

Reminds me of the Great New River Brush Fire back in 93. Before Anthem
existed, there was a rest stop at that point on I-17. Some careless
person tossed a cigarette and started it from there. When the fire
finally crested the hill just south of my home, it looked very much like
that image ... minus the observatory, unfortunately.  :)  They brought
in slurry bombers and water-bearing choppers to keep the flames from
reaching the homes in my area. Brush fires are WAY easier to control
than forest fires.

Dan