[AZ-Observing] Re: [TAAA_Forum] I actually got to observe tonight!

  • From: Alan Strauss <alan7170@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:49:44 +0000 (UTC)

Great report Wayne! I also observed Jupiter last night and watched the entire
shadow transit (of Ganymede) from beginning to end. I was using 196x with my
5.5 inch refractor and was also impressed with the creamy colored ovals
adjacent to the GRS. When the GRS was on the meridian, there were dark red
barges in the NEB on both the preceding and following ends, making a nice
triangle with Ganymede's shadow just below the GRS. It also seemed to me that
the SEB was redder preceding the GRS than following it. Seeing at my location
in NE Tucson was excellent, surprisingly, given the weather pattern of this
past week.

I have been experimenting with leaving the lighting in my observatory on at a
low level when observing Jupiter, and I think that this is helping me
appreciate color and details. I'd be interested to hear from others that have
tried this...I do think with Jupiter being so bright that trying to keep my
retina acting as if it is daytime helps...similar to observing Jupiter at dusk.

Anyway, clear skies!
Alan