[AZ-Observing] Re: T4T Wal-Mart Astronomy

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:14:39 -0700

Andrew,

Sounds like a nice event for a worthy cause. Personally, I too experience
the "fake Saturn" reaction at least once a night at a public event. My
favorite thing to do at a public event is to ask a group of people (works
best if there are kids in the group) how many planets can be seen tonight
with the naked eye. I do this after they seen the planets that are up. I'll
start to get answers and then ask which ones. Eventually an adult will get
the ones in the sky. When I tell them one more, it'll take a kid to notice
that they are standing on it. 9 out of 10 times it's a kid that figures it
out. Gotta love it.

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
President