[AZ-Observing] Re: Sunday not too hot either....Clear Sky Clock

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 07:58:19 -0700

>      I do note, however, that that 'Clear Sky Clock' for Flatiron
> showed bad seeing predicted about 6 hours ahead.  When model input
> for this is good, it's pretty reliable.

Hello Brian and all,

My mistake was that I checked the weather the old fashioned way.   That is I
didn't do more thourough checking on the internet.  In retrospect, the way
the WV was moving the previous days should have clued me in to other stuff
coming up.  I didn't think beyond that the cold front had already moved
through.  I'll take solice in the fact that I'm by far not the only
astronomer to head out only to get skunked this year.

Now, onto my continuance of the discussion.... We've talked about this in
the past, but might not be a bad thread to get into again now that it's been
around a while.  How does everyone feel about the Clear Sky Clocks?  My
limited experience is that while they are a reasonable indicator, they
shouldn't be taken as fact.  Case in point...This past May's Mormon Mt. Star
Stare.  The Clear Sky Clock indicated acceptable conditions, and it turned
out to not be so favorable.  I imagine this is due to local conditions that
don't get factored in.  None the less, my intrepetation of the CSC is that
if it sez good conditions, do some follow up research to verify, and if it
sez bad, well, then it probably will be.  I'm curious as to how everyone
else's experience compare to this.

Thad