[AZ-Observing] Sunday at Flatiron

  • From: "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:39:18 -0700

 With the surprisingly clear skies, I decided to go to Flatiron yesterday
(Sunday).  I was quite surprised to be the only one out there.  Near the
zenith, the seeing was quite good (an 8) and the transparency was good (a
7).  I spent most of my time in Andromeda, with the most exciting
observationbeing  Abel 262 (the NGC 708 group).  In the 20" scope at 180X, I
was able to see 8 objects with the aid of Vickers: NGC 700, 703, 704, 705,
708, 710, 714, and 717.  I was not able to see 709.  700 was only seen with
averted vision, all the others were seen with direct vision.  I particularly
enjoyed the elongated pair of 714 and 717.
By 11:30, it got too cold for me with a very slight breeze, so I decided to
turn in for the night after a quick look at the Orion Nebula.  6 stars were
easily and solidly visible in the Trapezium, with many faint stars in the
surrounding region which I have never noticed before.