[AZ-Observing] Re: Sub-arcsec seeing on Anderson Mesa

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:23:11 -0700 (MST)

>>  Comparing this data with seeing forecast models would make an
>>  interesting, if not useful comparison if this project is ongoing.

     I confess to not actually look at the CSC or the source models
the seeing predictions are derived from while observing last night.
I was already pretty busy managing LONEOS (and a very-fast-mover I found)
and trying to get some eyeball time outside with the Pronto instead.
     Certainly the synoptic situation was one where you'd expect
good seeing:  under the middle of the upper-air ridge, and no local
effects disturbing things.  Apart from having the real-time measurements,
confirmed visually, I think the circumstance is not too uncommon---
perhaps 10 percent of the clear nights at the site are quite similar.
     Later last night I did try more close pairs, including zeta Boo.
But it is now closing to down around 0".65, so in the Pronto it was
not any more than "maybe oval", even at 250x(!).  I also scanned around
looking at galaxies and various open and globular clusters, so it was
a pleasant bit of viewing for me.

\Brian