[AZ-Observing] Re: Stupid computer (maybe operator)

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 16:29:28 -0700

You're danged right!



Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory


-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rick Tejera
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:27 PM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Stupid computer (maybe operator)

Ditto and Access doesn’t have an undo in most cases. Delete is forever. 

Rick Tejera (K7TEJ)
Sagauro Astronomy Club
www.saguaroastro.org
Thunderbird Amatuer Radio Club
www.w7tbc.org


-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Harshaw
Sent: Tuesday, 01 May, 2012 16:04
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Stupid computer (maybe operator)

If I had a dollar for every time I did that in Access using a universal find 
and replace (code term for search and destroy), I could have retired five years 
ago.



Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory


-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 
stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 3:47 PM
To: az-observing@fre
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Stupid computer (maybe operator)

Howdy all;

As some of you know I am going through my observing notes and drawings from 
over the years and putting it all together.  It is a somewhat daunting task and 
has taken many hours in front of the computing machine just to get to 
here...maybe half way done.

I realized today that I was not being consistent in what I called my telescopes 
as I entered the notes.  Sometimes it was NS 11 and sometimes Nexstar 11.  So, 
I quickly realized the Find and Replace feature on my text editor could help.

I put in Find "NS" and Replace with "Nexstar".  Suddenly there were many 
changes to the constellation I was working in.  I thought "Gee, I did a lot of 
observing with the Nexstar in Canis Major" and proceded along.  For some reason 
I needed to go back for a moment and then I saw what I had done.

Because I did not check the box to match the case of the input, it changed 
EVERY "ns" to "Nexstar".  So, "chains of stars" became "chaiNexstar of stars" 
as did "portions" and others.

To fix the problem demanded time with the human brain computer.  I set the 
search for "Nexstar" and let alone the good ones and changed the crazy ones.  
The good news is that I only made about an hours work for myself, it is a 
lesson worth learning.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

P.S. If you have a "all you had to do to fix this in 20 seconds was...."
please keep it to yourself, I have completed my fix and it worked.

--
See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and please send 
personal replies to the author, not the list.

--
See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and please send 
personal replies to the author, not the list.

--
See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and please send 
personal replies to the author, not the list.

--
See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and please 
send personal replies to the author, not the list.

Other related posts: