[AZ-Observing] Re: Stupid computer (maybe operator)

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 08:45:50 -0700

Totally agree with Stan about MS Office becoming "bloatware." I'm still
running Office 2000 and totally happy with it. I hate having to learn
new tool bars for feature I never use. I did need to DL a plug-in so it
could open those new *docx file formats, but at least it was free from MS.
I'm also still running SkyGlobe for my astronomy app (c) 1997. It was
like $20 shareware, but does what I need. It won't guide a scope, but it
creates accurate maps for any time or place. Plus, it was the first such
app that allowed entry of the local horizon as a set of ordered pairs
(azimuth, elevation). With Gavilan Peak just east of my home, rise times
are delayed, but my local horizon overlay gives me a correction for that.

Dan